A Pacific coast bay known for its giant surf, massive whale migrations and plethora of seaside restaurants serving up some of the best fresh seafood, it’s hard to avoid ocean-centered activities when you visit. In fact, many of our guests here in downtown Half Moon Bay, California at the Mill Rose Inn come to the area specifically to enjoy the sea adventures offered by this Northern California destination. There are many ways to enjoy the water, including things for the leisurely beach types, as well as the hardcore adventurers who want to hit the cold salt water and get a taste of the area’s unique lifestyle. Kayaking in Half Moon Bay is a favorite among visitors and locals alike.
Half Moon Bay Kayaking Co. located at Pillar Point Harbor is one of the best companies to get out on the water with. As a local small business, you can trust their expertise in guiding at sea as well as maintaining their equipment. They also offer a number of great trips that will take you out exploring some of the best places to see in the area. Now that the warmer months are upon us, kayaking in Half Moon Bay is a particularly perfect way to explore the area, no matter what your paddling experience is.
Here are the great adventures you can have on the water with Half Moon Bay Kayaking Co:
- Coastal Paddle – Starting just north of Half Moon Bay at a state beach in Pacifica, this trip takes you down the coast, past the beautiful Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. Kayakers will end up at Pillar Point Harbor having explored the beautiful coastline.
- Fitzgerald Marine Reserve – This is an adventure for anyone looking for a rugged trip out kayaking in Half Moon Bay. The Marine Reserve is scattered with sea stacks, kelp beds, secluded beaches and of course the legendary Mavericks surf spot. You are bound to see a lot of wildlife on this trip out around Pillar Point.
- Full Moon Dinner – This multipurpose trip is a great night out either on a date or just with a group of friends. Paddle up the coast to Half Moon Bay Brewing Company or Sam’s Chowder House by moonlight for a delicious meal. A Full Moon Paddle without dinner is also available.
- Pillar Point Harbor Tour – If you’re looking for something a little more low-key, either for the kids or because you’re a first timer on the water, then this is the perfect tour for you. After some training, paddlers will hit the tranquil water of the harbor to practice their skills without the challenges of being out at sea.
- Sunset Paddle – After a brief land orientation you’ll head out for a relaxing sunset paddle across Pillar Point Harbor into the setting sunlight. Keep your eyes sky bound and look for the birds coming in to the roost for the night.
When heading out on your adventure kayaking in Half Moon Bay be sure to dress in layers and slap on that sunscreen and other protective gear. Pack a change of clothes just in case you get wet while out at sea and enjoy exploring these waters!